A message from Tether Communications:
Since June, our team has been working hard to bring the Village of Delburne the internet service it has been waiting for. Residents like you have shown us just how excited rural Alberta is for the next frontier of internet innovation, and we are nearly ready to show you what we've got.
On that note, we are proud to introduce...
After months of preparation, we are finally ready to connect you to the community network you deserve. For free.
You heard that right! Every resident will receive one month of connection to DelNet: Delburne's Community Network completely for free, installation and equipment costs waived. Once your trial period is up, you can choose to continue your service and sign up for a plan at one of our set prices. If for some reason you're not satisfied with the level of connectivity, you may cancel your service and return your equipment, no questions asked.
We are so grateful for the patience that residents like you have shown us as we continue to navigate the challenges that the COVID-19 pandemic poses. Your support through it all is invaluable, and we look forward to providing you with the payoff of your wonderful village's investment in us.
Construction has started on the fiber optic high speed internet project in Delburne.
A construction plan, map, and FAQ have been created to keep the community informed. This information can be viewed by clicking on the link below or a copy can be picked up at the Delburne Municipal office.
Deadlines for Consent for Installation
Construction of the fiber optics network will be done in 3 phases. Consent is required for fiber optic cables to be installed through your property to the outside of your house/building.
Don't miss this free opportunity! Crews will NOT be returning to a block once they have finished construction on a street. For those who decide later that they want fiber optics to their house, they will have to personally pay for the construction costs.
Provide consent by filling out the online form: tetheralberta.com/locations/delburne
- Phase 1 - Friday, September 25, 2020
- Phase 2 - Friday, October 9, 2020
- Phase 3 - Friday, October 23, 2020
Construction Update from Tether Communications
September 14, 2020
Thank you for your continued patience while our team works to provide the Village of Delburne with Fiber Optic Internet Service. We are excited to announce that middle mile construction has now begun. In simple terms, that means that our team is now installing the fiber cables into access points that will be used to connect your home or business.
We expect construction to your home or business to commence in the next 6-8 weeks, but we do not have a definitive date set yet. You might have noticed little flags being placed onto your property (if you provided consent through our online access letter), and this is to be expected as Alberta OneCall has begun to come by and perform their duties.
If you have any questions, please email me directly. Thank you again, and have a wonderful week ahead.
Anna Krupp | Customer Service Representative
CORRECTING MISINFORMATION ABOUT THE FIBER OPTICS NETWORK PROJECT
At the Village of Delburne, honesty and transparency are of the utmost importance. We strive to be the first and main source of information to people with questions and concerns. We are imploring the community to contact us directly with any inquiries. We have an open door policy and we will make time to address any concerns. We also ask that you trust the information that we provide to you as we pride ourselves on our authenticity.
We have been informed that there are many rumours being spread around the community regarding the Fiber Optics Network project. We have been accused of being dishonest when answering questions about financing the project. Please know that we have not provided any false information to those who have inquired about the financial aspect of the fiber optics network. We would like to address these accusations and clear up any misinformation.
It's Official: Fiber Optic Internet is Coming to Delburne!
Fiber Optic Internet is the fastest, and most reliable internet service available on the market and Tether is proud to be able to bring you service this Summer/Fall. Construction begins in June and we anticipate being able to "Tether" your residence or business in the very near future.
Who is Tether?
Tether Communications is an internet service provider, who's mission is to connect all of Western Canada to the most reliable, lightning-fast internet service available. Founded in Calgary AB, we are proud to support the community of Delburne.
What do we need from you?
Delburne is funding the infrastructure required to bring Fiber Optics to your house or business. That means you have the opportunity to increase your connectivity without paying anything out of pocket. Before we can do anything, we do require your permission to install the fiber optic cables on your property.
Please visit: www.tetheralberta.com/access to provide consent to our team to initiate the install. We have also included a FAQ page to answer any questions you might have, including the overall benefits of fiber optic internet.
Once you have provided consent, visit our plans page to learn more about the services that will be made available to you. Whether you choose a 1 or 2 year plan, our fiber optics solution will provide you with the lightning-fast, reliable internet connection that you'll have to experience to believe.
Sign up for fiber optic internet service: tetheralberta.com/signup/
The Village of Delburne is in the planning phase of the Fiber Optic Internet project. We currently do not have all of the answers but we will provide more information as it comes in. For now, please read our Fiber Optic Internet FAQ.
Fiber Optic Internet Frequently Asked Questions
When can I sign up? How much will it cost?
- Sign up now! Tether needs your consent to run fiber optic cables on your property.
- Read Tether's Frequently Asked Questions: tetheralberta.com/faq/
- Give permission at this link: tetheralberta.com/access/
- Learn about Tether's internet service price plans:
- If you would like to sign up for internet service, follow the link: tetheralberta.com/signup/
Who is the service provider?
- The Village of Delburne, in partnership with Red Deer County, will be funding the fiber optic network to Delburne. The internet service provider with be Tether.
- Visit their website: Tether Alberta
How is this being funded?
- We are exploring funding options with respect to:
- Grants through the fiber provider and the Federal government
- Grants that we currently access such as the Municipal Sustainability Initiative Capital Grant
- Borrowing options
- Loans through banking and financial institutions
A local improvement charge or general municipal tax levy
- Over the last 12 years, Council has been following the Infrastructure Master Plan. The most critical and highest priorities that were identified by our engineering department have been completed which are the underground and road infrastructure problems. This frees up the other infrastructure grants that we have available to us.
The media release says that fiber is coming to Delburne through Red Deer County. What is the direction?
- The fiber optic network is coming from Red Deer County via Hwy 42, as they are installing fiber in Pine Lake. It will go up Hwy 42 to Hwy 21 and then over to Delburne.
Why Fiber Optics?
- Speed – faster downloads, faster working, faster playing. 40 times faster than satellite. Six times faster than cable.
- Reliability – Little to no downtime. Fiber cable is invulnerable to power outages and disruption due to weather and temperature.
- Security – Increased peace of mind. Data is safer transmitting through fiber, tapping fiber optic cable is incredibly difficult.
- Bandwidth – Less glitching, buffering and the circle of death. Fiber is like driving a mega 12-lane highway versus cable/satellite’s 1 – 2 lane highway; there is always space on fiber.
- Scalable – Keep your internet options open. As technology and web-reliance continues to evolve, our devices will require faster upload and download speeds and higher bandwidth.
How is Fiber Optic different from other services provided today by current providers?
- The key benefit is that it provides a faster connection speed and carrying capacity. Fiber cables provide a higher degree of reliability. Fiber cables are made from glass so they don’t generate electricity or need grounding which makes them resistant to atmospheric and electrical interference. Fiber networks are also more “future-proof” networks. Optical networks are upgraded by changing the electronics that create the light pulses on the cable and not by replacing the cables.
How 1 Gb (gigabyte) is better?
- Fiber optic internet is 1 gigabyte (1000 megabytes per second). The average Canadian cable speed is approximately 21-100 megabytes per second.
- Doing a speed test at 9 am on a Friday at the Village office, these are our current speeds
- Download speed: 21.1 megabytes per second
- Upload speed: 8.97 megabytes per second
- Note: These speeds would be even slower at a higher traffic time such as evenings & weekends
- Doing a speed test at 9 am on a Friday at the Village office, these are our current speeds
What are the benefits of the Village bringing Fiber Optic Internet?
- The Fiber Optic infrastructure will attract businesses and other economic development opportunities to Delburne
- More options for residents/businesses for phone, internet and television
- Technology will run more efficiently. Customers will be able to connect several WIFI ready devices and streaming platforms without compromising the speed and quality of the internet.