The Delburne Village Council meets every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month.
Delburne Village Council
From Left to Right: Councillor Daphne Warner, Councillor Jeff Bourne, Mayor Bill Chandler, Councillor Tim Wilson, and Councillor Darlene Dushanek.
Get to know your Delburne Village Council:
The Delburne Village Council is the elected governing body of the municipality and the custodian of its powers, both legislative and administrative. The Municipal Government Act provides that councils can only exercise the powers of the municipal corporation in the proper form, either by bylaw or resolution.
A councillor's job is to work with other council members to set the overall direction of the municipality through their role as a policymaker. The policies that council sets are the guidelines for administration to follow as it does the job of running a municipality. Village councillors spend a lot of time while on council creating new policies and programs or reviewing the current ones to make sure they are working as they should.
Under the Municipal Government Act, councillors have the following duties:
- To consider the welfare and interests of the municipality as a whole and, to bring to council's attention anything that would promote the welfare or interests of the municipality
- To participate generally in developing and evaluating the policies and programs of the municipality
- To participate in council meetings and council committee meetings and meetings of other bodies to which they are appointed by the council
- To obtain information about the operation or administration of the municipality from the chief administrative officer
- To keep in confidence matters discussed in private at a council meeting until discussed at a meeting held in public
- To perform any other duty or function imposed on councillors by this or any other enactment or by the council.
Therefore it’s easy to see that the work, time, and responsibility involved in being a Village Councillor is not taken lightly. The value each elected member brings to the board room throughout their term is immense and very appreciated.